2019-2020 NHL Gear Sitings

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the powers granted to me by the heritage of the GSBB in the prehistoric era of goaltending equipment admiration, here is the 2019-2020 NHL gear sitings thread we've all been waiting for!  Ca

Dear Mike, So. Good. As. Always. Love, TGN Regulars

Looks like his teammates are taking it in stride, they drew a chalk outline of where he dropped this morning at practice.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

Anyone else think it's interesting that guys are testing new gear when they are supposed to be going directly into the playoffs?  I would think they would wait until next season/summer to try it out.  

Some goalies are familiar with the brands like ccm/Lefevre, they had it at some point. Could be just a trial run, playoffs isn't till August. 

8 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

Anyone else think it's interesting that guys are testing new gear when they are supposed to be going directly into the playoffs?  I would think they would wait until next season/summer to try it out.  

What better time to try out gear than now?

12 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

More of a clear picture, new skates with cowling? 🤔🤔🤔

20200713_192826.jpg

Great call on the skates, that is the weirdest part of the this to me! Clearly, as an outsider, it looks like Freddy is going through something or he wouldn't be changing that much?

Also interesting that he is using the 12.1 (EFlex) style pad. The 20.1 would be more like a different flavor of Ultra Sonic, if he only wanted something slightly different.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Great call on the skates, that is the weirdest part of the this to me! Clearly, as an outsider, it looks like Freddy is going through something or he wouldn't be changing that much?

Also interesting that he is using the 12.1 (EFlex) style pad. The 20.1 would be more like a different flavor of Ultra Sonic, if he only wanted something slightly different.

The 12.1 is very interesting, I'm not sure what's going on with him.  I feel like waiting for him after practice and asking haha the skates too! I mean 3 years later but maybe them Bauer's were too stiff for his liking? Who knows.

Edited by mr_shifty1982

I am still a noob on the goaler stuff, but a few goalies I know switched from two piece skates to cowlings with Step steel as it was the perfect height for them. The guys who switched say about strain on the joints with the high holders.  Could be the case with Freddy just a guess.

21 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

The 12.1 with very interesting, I'm not sure what's going on with him.  I feel like waiting for him after practice and asking haha the skates too! I mean 3 years later but maybe them Bauer's were too stiff for his liking? Who knows.

The guy has been in stiff pads since his junior days. Revokes, Premiers, Supremes.

This is probably the softest pad he's been seen in.

10 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

That was the rollout plan for Axis. Pros would demo over the summer and switch for 20-21. Saros is a big surprise!

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The guy has been in stiff pads since his junior days. Revokes, Premiers, Supremes.

This is probably the softest pad he's been seen in.

He dabbled with EF1 in Anaheim. But yes, I am with you, it's been at least 8 years since he wore a pad like this?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dumpy said:

I am still a noob on the goaler stuff, but a few goalies I know switched from two piece skates to cowlings with Step steel as it was the perfect height for them. The guys who switched say about strain on the joints with the high holders.  Could be the case with Freddy just a guess.

Funny this came up, I've been having a lot of the same thoughts (two piece True with Vertexx holder).

10 hours ago, Dumpy said:

I tried to make a switch as well but went with True boots in Vaughn cowlings.  Have 5 pairs of steel so I don't run out for awhile.  Same issue.  Too much height tough in my arthritic hips.  

20190314_131125.jpg

Edited by daffy
18 minutes ago, daffy said:

I tried to make a switch as well but went with True boots in Vaughn cowlings.  Have 5 pairs of steel so I don't run out for awhile.  Same issue.  Too much height tough in my arthritic hips.  

20190314_131125.jpg

My buddy has the same set up. He found lots of Step extreme steel for his now he says no more is left. He keeps telling me if I fit into anything off the peg to buy that instead of True skates as a guy like me has relatively normal feet and I can buy on sale. 

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

After giving it a go at practice tonight I can see why

It's important to note how the rest of his body is around it. The guy's always fully loaded to move laterally and takes away down low incredibly well. I think he really exemplifies a tight stance that is still employing active hands.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, keeperton said:

It's important to note how the rest of his body is around it. The guy's always fully loaded to move laterally and takes away down low incredibly well. I think he really exemplifies a tight stance that is still employing active hands.

He's also got a low shot incoming, so he's already moving to get into that low blocking position.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:34 AM, Hockeygoalie111 said:

For ones like Anderson and Smith yes it is surprising/interesting.

The majority of the guys “testing” Lefebvre, I wouldn’t consider testing. It’s more so they’re just getting their new gear. Most (not all a, few L20s) of them are getting their same spec gear from Lefebvre they’ve used all along.

13 minutes ago, RedX said:

For ones like Anderson and Smith yes it is surprising/interesting.

The majority of the guys “testing” Lefebvre, I wouldn’t consider testing. It’s more so they’re just getting their new gear. Most (not all a, few L20s) of them are getting their same spec gear from Lefebvre they’ve used all along.

Guys have almost a month and are on the ice daily. Should be a realistic amount of time to make a switch.

5 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

He's also got a low shot incoming, so he's already moving to get into that low blocking position.

Correct. I watched some footage prior to making my post and he's usually in the same stance, albeit less exaggerated/low.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Fascinating

Digging the full red.